Offspring & Niche Blogging

Well, my first offspring-blog of the year 2011 has seen the light. InspiritualBlog. If you asked me what it is about (someone did..), I will have a hard time explaining, but will come up with something like 'inspiration', a little bit on the soft side.

Niche?
Is that a niche? Probably not. By the way, I learned the other day that 'niche blogging' is actually (according to Wikipedia at least) a combination of 'blogging' and 'niche marketing'. According to that page, 'niche blogging is the act of creating a blog with the intent of using it to market to a particular niche market'. The bold-italic is by me, because that's what makes the difference with my original interpretation. What do other sources say about it? Well if you Google niche+blogging, most what you find is about making money anyway, preferably by sleeping. Another source mentioned the 'marketing' part only as an option down the road.

Niche??
In the process I stumbled upon a post about how boring niche blogging is, how nice it is to step out of your shed once in a while, and that this might be okay since many visitors will come for YOU. I think he has a point, although I have seen blogs were visitors would not come for the blogger him/herself. The latter will definitely be the case if you're going for the quick win. I think in that case a niche blog is still the way to go. Otherwise, he has a great point.

Murlu
Who is 'he'? He's murlu.com and I really liked his blog (layout-wise I have seen better though). It feels more 'real' than problogger.com. He has a lot of good content on his site, and (that's what I really like / appreciate), a high level of meta posts, for instance about his revenues.

Offspring
Yes, I was actually talking about this new blog I set up. I'm trying a few new things here, which gives me the chance to learn (the whole point after all) as well as a chance to write about it on this blog. So, coming up will be articles about Wordpress as a blogging platform, Twitter and Facebook as marketing tools and bit-ly as a nice tool with a hidden agenda.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten