The Social Network

I watched the social network yesterday and thought I'd give it a review. This in the spirit of trying all kinds of approaches to blogging, this December. So, I liked the movie. There you go :-D Nah, there's more to it :-D

Real?
The Social Network gives us a reconstruction of how Facebook (no...spell checker wants me to write that with capital F) started, and what this did to the life of (co?)founder Mark Zuckerberg. Real (brand)names are used and the movie is based on true facts, but there's also some part of fiction in there. Where this thin line is, I don't know. Many won't. Poor Mark.

Yada yada yada
The conversations in the movie are eloquent and extremely fast paced. It reminded me of this TV show 'Gilmore Girls'. I feel sorry for those that have to subtitle this movie, or watch it in any other than their native language :) I liked it though, especially in cases where Mark's being a smart-ass in court.

Story
The story starts with Mark's girlfriend breaking up with him. This sets of everything else. At some point a second and a third timeline are introduced, displaying the two lawsuits Mark is in. This can be a little confusing if you don't have any knowledge of Facebook's story beforehand. Flashed back from the lawsuits we see the story unfold, the rise of Facebook, the fall of friendship. And then, suddenly, snap, it's over.

Tech talk
Do you remember the movie 'Hackers'? They hacked into the school systems and set off the sprinkler system. ever since, movies with computers involved are extremely unrealistic, and so are the computer screens displaying graphical animations of the hack. The Social Network also has a fair amount of tech talk, for instance when Mark is obtaining all the pictures for FaceMash. But this time it is quite realistic. It must be quite vague for the non-nerd. That is OK, you don't need to understand it to get the story, just be in aw :-D

Wannabe?
Emotionally and socially, you don't want to be Mark (at least as he is portrayed in the film). But economically? I have to admit there is some 'I wish' factor going on while watching this guy set up a multi billion company.

And since adding videos to a post is kinda addictive, here's the trailer. I hadn't seen it yet, it is quite original, because of how it starts (I'm not talking about the green screen thing).

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten